Friday, May 13, 2011

Italian style meatballs

My mother in law taught me how to make these. Let me say they are nothing like MY mother used to make (my mother's version had ketchup and onions - YUCK!). There is nothing like learning how to make meatballs italian style. My Mother in law and father in law never measured anything. I watched them make these about 10 times with my MIL telling me to add ingredients until it FEELS and SMELLS right.  Are you kidding me? As if raw meat of any kind feels good.

1 egg beaten in small bowl
1 cup parmesan cheese
3 Tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons italian seasoning
1 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs (if you make without these you need to put more italian seasoning in)
1 pound 80 ground chuck (they are much better when you buy this vs the 90% lean kind. I know, fattening. It is what it is)
3 cloves fresh garlic
Salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix with your hands.
Depending on what I am making I make the meatballs different sizes. These are for regular sauce and meatballs.

If I make meatballs for sauce I put canola oil in a frying pan at medium high and wait for the oil to get hot before I put the garlic in.


Put the meatballs in just long enough to brown on the outside.

MMMM MEAT. 
Put in the sauce to cook the rest of the way.
Megan and I are carrying on the meatball making tradition; here's her version.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...