Monday, May 16, 2011

Italian "gravy"

Another recipe from my in laws which I had to observe about 100 times before I got it down since those damn italians don't write any recipes down. I make this once a week and it freezes very well.

2 cans pastene kitchen ready tomatoes (don't use any other kind, these are the BEST!). If I can only find the pastene whole tomatoes on sale I buy those and 2 cans water and put them in the food processor)
1 can tomato paste
half a stick of pepperoni
italian seasoning
salt
pepper
sweet italian sausage (at least 3 links)

Put tomatoes, tomato paste and water in a large pan on medium high heat. Cut up the pepporoni and put into the sauce.  Put a couple healthy shakes of italian seasoning in the sauce and about a teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
Meanwhile cook italian sausage in a frying pan. I usually put it in the frying pan with some water so I don't have to watch it the whole time. When sausage is fully browned on the outside put it into the sauce.

If you are making meatballs with it see that recipe and put the meatballs in when browned (see my post for italian meatballs from last week). Note: when you put the meatballs in the sauce will be extra good if you don't drain the meatballs first; put them in the sauce straight from the frying pan with a little grease on them still. I know this is bad but trust me it makes a big difference! Throw a few shakes of parmesan cheese in the sauce.
Cover and let the sauce simmer for at least an hour.

Note this will not be even remotely the same if you don't use pepperoni and meatballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...