Sunday, May 22, 2011

I had a coupon episode

I don't know how I get these things into my head. One day I'm obliviously  paying full price for everything and can't be bothered and the next second i was in a full fledged couping episode, emailing my niece at all hours about how  she does it - asking her excruciatingly detailed questions; where do you store them, where do you get them? How do you fold them? (I require instruction at even the most basic tasks at home; at work I am much more competent I assure you.). Its like I leave my common sense at the door when I come home. The other day I went running and saw a snake; I literally jumped INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC to avoid the snake. My instincts need adjustment.


I always thought that couponing was for people who don't work. I work full time but I DO spend more money than I need to and sometimes I feel like its all a viscous cycle, hate my job, spend money to make myself feel better so therefore I have to work longer at hated job.

Anyway, I've been cutting coupons from the paper and googling every product I use to get coupons. PS I think wine is the only thing that never ever has a coupon.  I signed up for every blog and coupon site my neice told me about. I also signed up for freebies; everything from a CLIF bar to adult diapers (I don't need these now but I definetly WILL someday). And now I'm prepared.

I stayed up until midnight every night; when my friend Mimi told me I could print a second copy from my husbands printer; I made him sign up for all these sites. Some of them are pretty funny; one site was for wiping your iPhone off and you had to fill out this long form and send in a picture of your dirty phone. That made me feel a little cheap since I never clean my phone so why would I lower myself for that product? The process to sign up for adult diapers was much easier.   I HAVE saved alot of money this week; in total I saved $200 in 3 trips to CVS, Rite Aid and Price Chopper. And I only bought stuff I need and use.  When I took the kids to Price Chooper they were shocked and appalled that I wouldn't let them buy their favorite snacks because they weren't on sale and I didn't have a coupon.
My friend Mimi gave me the best tip: go to the register with the teenage boy; the middle aged women act like its their money you're taking away from them. This was key! I had a few coupons where I realized at the last minute it was for the right brand but wrong product: supposed to buy DELI STYLE hot dogs, not regular. Well I REALLY lucked out because I got some hot teenaged girls in line behind me so the check out guy wanted to get rid of me and FAST. 

At one point I was so obsessed I went running on recycling day and went through a neighbors recycling looking for unused coupons.  I went to my friend Mimi's house and made her show me her coupon binder. I was so jealous you'd think she had a new Coach bag.

Maybe thats the problem: Im just so intense about everything by the time I'm at the finish line I'm no longer interested. The problem is that I had all this adrenaline and I was s excited, but all of a sudden its starting to look silly to me.  I'm not saying I'm not going to do it anymore but perhaps I will tone it down. In the meantime, I am waiting until I save a little more so I can buy an IPAD :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...