Monday, June 13, 2011

Coupon craziness

To add to my insanity I have a few more admissions. You can call me insane: I don't really care. At least I'm not Dead or watching reality TV.

- Megan and I went to price chopper last week and we had a goal to save $100. Now I'm not one of those people yet who actually calculate what I am going to save at the store in advance but this was a goal Megan set out and I was happy she was not bothering me having fun so I went with it*. We did very well and I think we saved $88 and paid $120. When we left the store it was pitch black and windy; storm was here. I went to put the groceries in the car and my receipt and credit card flew out of my hand and went flying across the parking lot. I had not even had a chance to look at my receipt and pat myself on the back for my hard work! Initially I was concerned about getting in and out of Matts' school before the torrential rain started but there was a crisis at hand!! I ran around the Price chopper parking lot chasing after scraps of paper for 20 minutes. Despondent as I observed papers flying across a major intersection I almost gave up hope but I spotted a peice of paper near the road, picked it up and it was mine!! BEHOLD the receipt that documents my 39% savings!!! I was exalted. Yet sadly i did not find my credit card (not that I was looking). I had to cancel that.

- The very next day I went to Rite Aid armed with my wellness card and list of savings. When the cashier told me how much it was I was a little shocked but ran the credit card through. When I looked at the receipt I noticed that she didn't give me my UP reward (cash for future purchase) for something. I mentioned it to her, she got the manager, BLAH BLAH. I was aggravated at myself that I was wasting my time for $3 but what is the point of doing the coupon thing if you're not going to check? So I get the 12 year old manager to give me a credit and I am on my way. When I get home I am congratulating myself at all the coach bags I will be able to buy with my Rite aid savings and I realize that they made 3 more mistakes. Back in the car I go back to rite aid where the 12 year old pimply manager cringes when he sees me. I try to give him the most endearing "I know I look like an old housewife but I swear I once was cool look" and he fixes my bill while I apologize all over myself for "being a pain".  Then I got in my Lexus and I drove home.

- My kids are now pissed that I won't buy any of their crappy food without a coupon. They love Jimmy Dean crap and I tell them I won't buy it unless they have a coupon so now they are looking for coupons with me. Double bonus.

- When I go running in my neighborhood on Thursdays I have to meditate to keep from stopping at every recycling bin looking for coupons. I don't do anything half way. 

- These were my sunday purchases. Do not tell me you are not jealous LOL. All this was $4.00 at Walgreens
All this was $30 AND I got a $10 gas card at CVS.
At this point I think I have saved enough money that I have justified:
        * a new camera lens
        * a picture for over my mantel (bought with a coupon!)
        



* My husband got me an I Pad so as soon as I get that baby I will likely be fully anti-socialized into communicating exclusively through digital means. I see no reason to leave my house except to avoid paying shipping charges or to go to the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...